Wednesday 30 January 2013

Why Eastern cuisine?

My initial response to this module task was “Yes! An excuse to eat anything and everything that I come across and write about it!” But having revised the course requirements and investigated different types of literature based on food I have thought it be wiser of me if I were less impulsive; so here’s my decisive plan for this blog:
   Over the next few weeks I will be dipping in and out of one of my Grandmother’s cookbooks examining the literature and format of some of them in contrast to my knowledge and research on contemporary literature of food, as well as talking to my family members about their memories of the foods Granny used to cook and attempting to recreate some traditional dishes, specifically the dishes that my family and I grew up with. My overall goal is to "travel" through a selection of varied recipes and memories, and examine the ways in which my family engage with dishes native to their ethnic routes.


Ethnic cuisine was immensly popular in the twentieth century but prior to this varied dishes were included on the menus of cafes and taverns. In contemporary society Asian food in particular has been on the rise with a multitude of sushi cafes popping up and online dining becoming more popular and readily available. We have a fascination and fear of the exotic that was initially described in Orientalism (1978) by Edward Said that I have found to be relevant to food, and it is with this fascination and fear that I have found myself wanting to venture outside of common meals and everyday fruit and veg and try something different.
I come from a mixed background (my mother is from the Philippines and my father is also mixed with roots going back to India as well as being part English and Irish) and I have been fortunate enough to taste a variety of different foods from around the world, yet up till now I feel I have neglected the knowledge of 'exotic' cooking and the secrets that lie amongst these discoloured pages.


Common curry spices
Filipino cuisine
Lebanese cuisine

Chicken Adobo (Classic Filipino dish)
Hence fourth I am on an Eastern excursion broadening my culinary skills and paying my dues with invested reading! 

3 comments:

  1. An interesting topic, Teresa, if a rather huge one. I hope you talk about your family heritage and your memory of eating these foods as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nicki and Lulu, I hope that you both enjoy reading about the different types of cooking that my family does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa,

    Great conclusion. Great memories. I can relate to how closer you feel to the Asian culture after completing your food blog. I feel the same way. I did mine on Mexican food and I have enjoyed making sense of the role food plays in many social and cultural aspects. Thank you for making some cookbook suggestions. I will definitely check them out because Asian food is one of my top favorites!

    ReplyDelete